These blogs, articles, and cookbooks are fabulous reads, where I go for entertainment and inspiration, not to mention education:
- 101 Cookbooks
- Amateur Gourmet
- Apt 2B Baking Co.
- Budget Bytes
- Closet Cooking
- A Cook Grows in Brooklyn
- Cookie and Kate
- A Cozy Kitchen
- The Faux Martha
- A Forest Feast
- Healthy Green Kitchen
- How Sweet Eats
- Lottie and Doof
- The Kitchn
- Meatless Monday
- Mrs Wheelbarrow’s Kitchen
- The Naptime Chef
- The New Potato
- Not Derby Pie
- Sassy Radish
- Serious Eats
- Smitten Kitchen
- The Spice Spoon
- Tea Cup Tea
- A Thought for Food
- Turntable Kitchen
- Two Peas and Their Pod
- Umami Girl
- The Year in Food
FOOD WRITING, NEWS, BLOGGING, AND NUTRITION
In Dieting, Magic Isn’t a Substitute for Science, The New York Times
A slightly cranky professor tells nutrition like it is.
One Simple Change from Healthy Green Kitchen
Winnie’s ongoing series is about how you can make small, easy changes to your diet and lifestyle to improve your health and well-being. Thanks to one of her posts, I now drink a huge glass of H20 first thing each morning.
Brooklyn’s New Culinary Movement, The New York Times
A slightly outdated introduction to the glorious food scene I inhabit in Brooklyn.
The Pleasures of Food and Drink from Byliner.com
Byliner rounds up some awesome (free) food writing.
My Mom Couldn’t Cook, Esquire
I guess the reason we all care so much about food is its ability to connect us to home and family.
Advice for Future Food Writers by Amanda Hesser
You might find this discouraging at first glance, but read it again to see how the fall of one sort of food writing career has opened up a way for aspiring food writers to engage with community, the internet, and green living.
Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch List (by region)
Useful guide for when you’re purchasing seafood and can’t remember what’s sustainable and what’s not.
Written by Yours Truly
- Entertaining for a Veggie Planet by Didi Emmons
- The Flexitarian Table by Peter Berley
- How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
- Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
- Vegetarian Entrees That Won’t Leave You Hungry by Lukas Volger
Sweets and Baking
- Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate by Alice Medrich
- The Dessert Bible by Christopher Kimball
- Rose’s Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum
- Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Chocolate Desserts
Savory and Awesome
- Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More by Andrea Nguyen
- Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That? by Ina Garten
- The Essential New York Times Cookbook by Amanda Hesser
- James Beard’s American Cookery
- Martha Stewart’s Dinner at Home
- One Big Table by Molly O’Neill
- Ruhlman’s Twenty by Michael Ruhlman
- Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
- Speakeasy by Jason Kosmas and Dushan Zaric