There’s a reason why we dedicate an entire chapter to dips in our book: they’re fun, they’re filling, and they’re easy to make in Super Bowl-sized proportions. As the countdown begins to the big Sunday, we highly recommend factoring a few dips into your menu. While size does matter on game day, Mexican and Southwestern flavors also seem to score extra points. So we’ve selected our cheesiest, heartiest dips for the football lovers at your table. Make them in advance, and don’t be shy about your quantities–commercial breaks are no time for replenishing!
1. Cheesy White Bean Dip with Paprika Toasts. Unless you’ve tried this dip, you might have yet to realize that white beans and cheese are a winning pair. Your guests will agree as they forgo some of the other Mexican-themed Super Bowl dishes for this earthy, gooey bowl of heaven.
2. Panko-Crusted Spinach Dip with Pita Chips. We made this dip for our blog launch party back in 2009, and we’ve never seen something disappear so fast. Use something sturdy like pita chips for dipping, and even leave your guests a spoon just in case they want to pile their bites extra high with creamy spinach.
3. Southwestern Corn and Artichoke Dip with Tortilla Chips. Phoebe’s friend Ali pioneered this recipe in her DC kitchen, and it is just as easy to make as it is delicious to inhale by the chip-ful. A generous hit of cayenne and the addition of a little corn gives this artichoke dip a Southwestern spin, perfect for Super Bowl Sunday.
4. Three Onion Dip with Potato Chips. This was our publicist’s favorite recipe from our book. We brought it into HarperCollins’ office for a meeting with the sales team and got everyone hooked. Make sure to stock up on Cape Cod potato chips, which make for a doubly dangerously addictiveness.
5. Gooey Mexican Dip with Tortilla Chips. A college classic, this Mexican dip has been in the BGSK arsenal since Phoebe was a sophomore. In the book, we call it “dump and stir” Mexican dip because its technique requires little more than that. If you’re into letting the grocery aisle do the cooking for you, this recipe is for you.